The purpose of this post is to demonstrate a simple example of Make-to-Order manufacturing in ADempiere where a completed Sales Order creates a Manufacturing Order automatically. This video example uses ADempiere’s Libero manufacturing abilities to automate this task.
Note: The world of make-to-order manufacturing is an art and science of its own. Every customer does it differently; however, many of the concepts are the same. ADempiere does a good job of modeling this process. Here is an example of my make-to-order customers typically do:
- You start with a semi-complete or complete template BOM.
- You give the planning/design team the ability to copy a Product and BOM specifically for that customer (created from template).
- You and the customer iterate through design documentation.
- You may stop at Engineering to ensure the BOM and routing are accurate.
- You perform pricing and costing analysis.
- You finalize the Order with the customer.
- You release Manufacturing Order (BOM and Routing) to the shop floor for scheduling.
- You track variances as a feedback loop for planning/design accuracy and teaching.
If you would like to see the below example expanded to encompass the above steps, let me know. I am happy to give you a demo.
This video is part of a series of manufacturing introduction videos. Here are the direct links to other related videos:
- Introduction to Manufacturing
- Simple demo – Order BOM
- Moderate demo – Light Manufacturing
- Example of document management in the design process
- Make to Order demo – (this video)
- Complex Demo – MRPII (coming soon)
Note: iDempiere implements make-to-order differently. Let me know if you would like to see how iDempiere supports manufacturing.
I hope this helps!!!
Why consider Open Source ERP
Open source ERP gives you every opportunity to prove or disprove its ability to support your company’s ERP needs on a timeline that satisfies your organizational needs. With open source ERP, you do not face the same financial constraints nor do you face the same conflicts of interest as with commercial ERP. Instead, you invest in the appropriate skills and knowledge for your people and processes. Best of all – if open source ERP cannot solve your company’s needs, you can safely justify spending the additional $2K to $5K per person per year for life of your commercial ERP to help drive your organization’s success.
ADempiere vs iDempiere vs Openbravo vs Compiere
Please note that ADempiere, iDempiere and Openbravo are forks or copies from Compiere. Therefore, they have similar abilities mentioned above. The biggest difference is that ADempiere and iDempiere are pure open source. There are no features held behind a commercial or paid license.
About Chuck Boecking: I am an ERP educator. I believe that open source ERP have achieved mainstream capabilities, and as a result, more companies can create greater efficiency across their organization. I started using the iDempiere code base in 2003. Back then, it was called Compiere. In 2006, I started my first multi-million dollar installation. Since then, ADempiere has helped me create great success with distribution and manufacturing companies all over the world. My vision of success is to find companies that can best use open source ERP to help them achieve a single, global instance that drives a discontinuous increase in profitability. I believe that organizations win when they own their technology.
If you have questions, comments or concerns, let me know. I definitely want your feedback.
You can contact me by phone using 512.850.6068.
My email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can complete the form on this page.
Thank you for taking the time. I look forward to speaking with you.